Cornhole Game Rules
The game of Cornhole is similar in concept to Horseshoes or Lawn Darts. However, instead of pitching heavy iron horse shoes or throwing sharp pointed darts, you toss corn-filled bags into a hole. Never mind the name! This game is fun and addicting. Here are some typical rules of the game. Rules in your area (especially tournament rules) may vary.
Number of Players
- Doubles: 4 players; 2 per team or
- Singles: 2 opposing players
Cornhole game dimensions
- 2 Cornhole boards
- · 24" x 48" top surface
- · 12" rear height
- · 3-4" front height
- · 6" hole; hole center is 9" from top of board, 12" from the sides.
- 2 sets of 4 Cornhole bags
- · 6" square
- · Each filled with approx. 1lb whole corn or other approved material (ie. beans, plastic resin pellets, etc.)
- The boards are placed 27 feet apart, front-to-front or 33 feet apart, hole-to-hole.
- The front of both boards serve as foul lines.
- Each side of the board behind the foul line makes up a player area (pitcher's box).
- One member of each team plays on each end of the court, one player on each side of the board. You must stand directly across from your partner.
- A coin-toss or some other mutually agreed upon method decides which team tosses the first bag. (Rock-Paper-Scissors seems to be the favorite). In a tournament, check with the tournament rules.
- After the first bag is tossed, the players on one end of the court alternately toss their bags until each player has tossed all 4 of his/her bags.
- When both players on one side of the court have alternately tossed all of their bags, this completes a "frame". After each frame is complete, scores are tallied...see blow for points and scoring.
Points and Scoring. The game is played to 21 points.
- After all 8 bags are alternately tossed from one end by opposing players, scores are tallied.
- Only 1 team can add to their game score per frame.
- Each bag "in-the-hole" earns 3 points.
- Each bag on the board earns 1 point.
- Zero points for any bag that hits the ground and bounces on. Zero points for any bag that gets knocked off by any other bag during a frame...unless it is pushed in the hole (3 points).
- Cancellation scoring:
- Only the difference in the points after a frame will be added to the game score.
- If Team A tosses 2 in-the-hole and 2 on the board; that's 8
- If Team B tosses 1 in-the-hole, 2 on the board and 1 off the board; that's 5.
- Team A would then add 3 points to their game score.
- Toss Rotation: The player of the team who scored in the frame tosses first to start the next frame.